Wedding budget 101
When it comes to planning for your wedding, it doesn’t always matter what your final wedding budget number may be. Here are some tips to help budget your dream wedding on whatever wedding budget you may have!
A lot of couples typically ask, “How much money do we allocate towards each vendor?” This is such an important question as it helps determine your overall budget and where the money will go.
Here is a simple breakdown of those numbers:
Reception: 48-50 percent
Photography/Videography: 10-12 percent
Attire/Hair/Makeup: 8-10 percent
Flowers: 8-10 percent
Entertainment/Music: 8-10 percent
Miscellaneous/Wedding Planner: 8 percent
Ceremony: 2-3 percent
Stationery: 2-3 percent
Wedding Rings: 2-3 percent
Gifts: 2-3 percent
Parking/Transportation: 2-3 percent
Optional – Honeymoon: 5 percent – Make sure to include this in your budget if you are paying for this yourselves.
If you have a set amount that is your top limit, then go ahead and take out the percentages above to see how the break down will look and if it is feasible with the direction you want to take your wedding. The Knot.com has a great Wedding Budget Calculator that you can plug in your budget and it will break everything down for you. Super easy to use and track where your money is going.
Don’t miss out on these extra tips …
You don’t need to feel like you have to skimp and have a total DIY wedding if your budget doesn’t fit the “standard” … here are some tips to help you save but still have an elegant wedding you have dreamed of!
- Decide what is most and least important. Allocate money toward the top 3 and see how you can save money with the bottom 3 things.
- Cut the guest list. I know this is a hard one, but when you look at providing food, beverage and sometimes transportation for guests the numbers add up quickly. If the dinner service and beverage service is $100 per person, if you cut just 10 people that is a savings a $1,000 right there! The savings can add up quickly here.
- Skip the pricey details. Before making a purchase, ask yourself. “Will anyone notice this detail if it isn’t here?” If the answer is no, then put that money towards one of your top 3 items.
- Simplify your menu. Your guests don’t need five entree selections, having three is more than enough and will cost less too.
- Substitute less expensive flowers. Try to pick in season and local flowers rather than ones that need to be shipped in from another state.
These are just a few tips on how to stay within your wedding budget but have the wedding of your dream. If you are looking for some additional help, hiring a wedding planner can help find other ways to save and make the details come together nice and smooth.
What are ways you are looking to save but still have the wedding of your dreams?